Thursday, May 8, 2008

BABY BOTTLES


Apparently this is old news, but I just found out about the baby bottle recall that happened in Canada and should be happening here in the United States but has not yet.
They have found that the plastic baby bottles, sippy cups, and re-usable water bottles release toxins that are harmful to children. the plastic (or chemical in the plastic)that they are using is called Bisphenol A.

Bisphenol A
is a harmful chemical found in polycarbonate plastic which is used to make many popular baby bottles and sippy cups, among other things. Bisphenol A (BPA) is a chemical that mimics the action of the human hormone estrogen, which alters our body’s natural pattern. Effects at even low BPA exposure include prostate cancer, breast cancer, early puberty onset, alterations in gender-specific behavior, decreased sperm count, affects on fertility, behavioral effects including hyperactivity, increased aggressiveness, impaired learning and other changes in behavior, and other problems.

I copied this definition of Bisphenol A from a website but you can read more about it on Wikipedia or Bisphenol A
here are a few websites that have BPA free bottles:

Born Free
Nurture Pure
Target sells Dr Browns Glass bottles and also Born Free Products
Green to Grow

6 comments:

Emily Frame said...

scary... but its not just baby bottles, its regular plastic water bottles-- suposedly they release the worst when they're frozen or heated. sad that canada is quicker to the punch then us.

Kimberly Ngarupe said...

also all nalgene bottles just got recalled. if you have one you can take them to REI and they will give you a credit, whether you bought it from there or not.

Mardi and Jeremey said...

Yeah, I heard about this. Thanks for the websites.

Brooke said...

okay I'm glad I looked at your blog- I didn't know!

Lindsay said...

I know I am only 24 days behind you in pregnancy. But, everytime I see the widget baby thing I am reminded that your baby is due before me! I am jealous!

Kayla R. said...

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!! i love you:)